Sunday, March 17, 2019

The Superman/Batman Adventures

Having been born in 1983 meant that I missed all of these shows on their original runs. And without access to the Internet, or it not existing yet, I instead discovered them thru the amazing world of syndication! My young mind was melted watching the early years of Cartoon Network, that used a lot of "Superfriends" back then as a staple of its programming, Many a Saturday and Sunday afternoon was spent watching "Superfriends", as well as other excellent adventure shows from Hanna Barbara, like "Space Ghost", "The Herculoids", "The Galaxy Trio", "Birdman", etc.

I think it was later on when I was in Junior High School that I discovered the Filmation 1960's DC cartoons. They were packaged as part of "The Superman/Batman Adventures" on USA Network, alongside various "Superfriends" shorts, including airing the 1983 Lost Season episodes for the first time in the States. I was an instant fan, my love of the Superfriends strengthened, and it's likely due to this show that I can't really separate these different properties. Filmation's DC stuff and Hanna Barbara's DC stuff just exist together forever in my brain thanks to "The Superman/Batman Adventures"... check out how awesome the intro was:


1 comment: